Only Spoofs Work
‘U/A’ Certified, 2 hrs 04 mins.
What is the film Anando Brahma about?
What happens when ghosts are scared of human? How do the ghosts scare the people out of a house till their last one wish is fulfilled? What is their final wish and how its ends, is what the film is all about?
How is Taapsee’s performance?
Taapsee is the face of the movie, but she has nothing much to do in the film. She has to scare with a scary face paint, that is all she has to do. Given the promotion that is centered entirely on her, it is a big disappointment.
Direction By Mahi V.Raghav?
Anando Brahma is the second film of Mahi V Raghav. Having seen the first movie, Paathashala, it has to be said that he has improved as a director. The visuals and overall slick presentation are the areas where there is a remarkable betterment.
However, he has once again faltered with the story and screenplay aspect. They are pretty weak and out rightly predictable. The spicing up of things, an art so essential while handling commercial movies, is entirely missing. It is a major issue in the climax where despite the possibilities of high emotions we get a rushed and emotionless drab.
Similarly, the first half could have been spiced up big time, but the director fails in doing so. In fact, the entire first half till the interval mark is weak and just a setup. Even within that, there is a feeling of repetitiveness. It is in the second half where the engaging factor lies. From the beginning of the second half, there is entertainment that is sure to click.
But as said above the repetitive factor comes into play and one gets a feeling of watching the same thing again and again. Still, it is fine till the pre-climax where the actual reason is out. From then onwards until the end everything is predictable and lackluster. Overall the opening segment of the second half which involves, the first two days stay of the different characters in the house is the best and only interesting part of the movie.
Srinivas Reddy and others?
Srinivas Reddy gets another character that is down to earth and relatable. He is good as usual within the horror comedy space. There are two scenes, the interval and one where he laughs out of fear for the first time which shows how well he can deliver the needed. The real performers in the comedy are experts Thagubotu Ramesh, Shakalaka Shankar, and Vennela Kishore. All three are given unique characters and traits and they all shine. Shakalaka Shankar in a couple of scenes and Thagubotu Ramesh in a scene hit it out of the park. Vennela Kishore is reliably good. Rajiv Kanakala impresses towards the end. Raja Ravindra, Jeeva, Supreeth, and others do their routine.
Music and other departments?
There are no songs, and it’s all about the background score. K delivers amazingly in that regard. The cinematography is excellent. Editing is sharp. Dialogues are good in parts. There are a few double meaning dialogues, but they are timed to perfection and evoke laughs without the feeling of vulgarity.
Few funny scenes
The story aspect needs to be better with few good twists and emotions. The beginning and the end surely needed more meat.
Did I enjoy it?
Yes in parts
Will you recommend it?
Yes but with huge reservations.
Anando Brahma Review by Siddartha Toleti
Anando Brahma has a weak plot. Among comedians, Shakalaka Shankar’s comedy in the second half is the main highlight of the movie. Taapsee has a limited role and has nothing in terms of performance. Watch out for our frank review shortly.
– Rajiv Kanakala’s character takes an unexpected twist towards the climax, but the reason his father not helping him (in flashback) which creates the whole plot looks very unconvincing.
– Shakalaka Shankar imitating Pawan Kalyan scene is hilarious. Shakalaka Shankar’s Ramdev Baba spoof and Jagadeka Veerudu Athiloka Sundari dance block works well.
– Venela Kishore in a deaf and night-blindness role does his usual best. Srinivas Reddy and Thagubothu Ramesh are okay, their comedy works in parts.
-Taapsee has a very limited role in both halves of the movie. Movie starts off with Taapsee scaring with face paint (Ghost make up) and pretty much that’s it. She occasionally comes and leaves. It’s a surprise to see her in a role like this after recent Bollywood roles, here in this film she does not perform, or has any key connection in the film.
First Half Report:
The movie started off interestingly and have few chills in the first few minutes but later movie drags until the interval with the establishment of comedians background. Interval has a nice humorous bang. Let’s wait for the second half.
– Srinivas Reddy, Shakalaka Shankar, Thagubothu Ramesh and Vennela Kishore who are in financial crisis for different reasons agree to live in the rumored Ghost house.
– Taapsee and her grandfather along with a small girl live in that home as Ghosts. They will be bumping into another Ghost family in the same home. No one will come forward to buy the house as the rumor spread as Ghosts living in the house. Rajeev Kanakala decides to rent his home for free to kill the Ghost house rumor.
– Show started on an emotional note of Rajiv Kanakala losing parents in a mishap. He puts his home where his parents lived for sale.
Anando Brahma Live Updates begin at 5 am IST.
Preview: Anando Brahma
What does that title mean? What’s its connection to the story? When we ask these questions, the director of the movie Mahi V Raghav says there is literally no connection. Well, Mahi V Raghav who had made his directorial debut with ‘Paathshaala’ is coming up with a horror comedy movie.
So, how did he sell the movie without any stellar star cast? Horror movies have become very common, these days and how different is this film going to be? Here is the answer. The film is promoted with the reverse concept that humans scare the ghost in this movie. That sounds interesting, doesn’t it?
Taapsee Pannu is the only big name (she is now a big actress in Bollywood with good roles building her career, neatly) in this movie and the actress has been the buzz in Tollywood for her comments on K. Raghavendra Rao’s midriff obsession.
She is the hero of the film, obviously. But, don’t confuse yourself thinking that it will be another female-centric movie. Nay. She is the main lead, but the story isn’t woven around any female-centric concept.
Her look and the way she is shown in the trailer are impressive. It’s Taapsee all over written in the trailer though there is a pool of popular comedians. Taapsee said in the promotional interviews that she finally got a role in Tollywood that gave scope for performance.
Coming to the pool of comedians, Srinivas Reddy might have played a substantial role along with Shakalaka Shankar, Vennela Kishore and Tagubothu Ramesh to boost the proceedings. The presence of these comedians promises us something different for the comic relief.
If worked out well, they may fetch good attention for the movie. A ghost being scared away by humans is something novel and the director’s thought process that ‘a ghost or a God is created out of the fear of the human beings’ reflects in this reverse horror concept.
All in all, the movie’s concept can sell itself regardless of the cast if the movie turns out to be as good as it promised to be. Did Taapsee get a performance-oriented role in Tollywood finally? Were the comedians successful in bringing about the much needed comic relief?
Stay tuned with Mirchi9 for the comprehensive Anando Brahma review from our reviewer. Only a few hours to wait for our genuine review.
– Anando Brahma special premier just finished in Hyderabad today and celebrities like Manchu Lakshmi poured praises on the film. Let’s wait to find out talk from US premiere. Anando Brahma releasing over 80 location in US, the movie still faces little threat from Rana starer Nene Raju Nene Mantri other than that it’s a good timing for the release in US but we will have to see how the overseas audience is really excited to catch this film. Anando Brahma premiers priced at $12 per ticket.
– Anando Brahma USA premier collection update: The movie has collected $21,000 from it’s premiers. A decent start at the US box office we will have to see how trend will pick up from Friday and especially Saturday which is crucial for US trade.