indian-peacock-restaurant-burnt-canadaThis week a fire broke out which gutted the inside of the Indian Peacock restaurant at 187 Simcoe St., in downtown Peterborough, Canada. The fire was caused by a used firework that was not disposed of properly.

This accident caused damage of around $125,000 to the owners. Police suspect no foul play.

The city police received a dozen noise complaint calls over fireworks across the city between 9:30 and 10:30 p.m because of Diwali celebrations by Hindus, and also Jains, Sikhs, and Buddhists.

The city fire department put in huge efforts to knock down the blaze. Reports say that two crews worked to put out the fire while a third one helped in evacuating residents from the apartments above the restaurant.

The Indian Peacock restaurant served as a desi store catering to the needs of Peterborough’s desi community and food lovers. The place is a favorite among the students coming from India to study at Fleming College and Trent University.

A fundraising campaign was launched to help the restaurant owners recover from the tragedy.